Sunday, May 17, 2009

Father's and Son's Camp-out Mishap

This weekend was the Father's and Son's Camp-out. Unfortunately for me, only Sterling wanted to go. What's with kids today? It was a Stake event and our ward had a pretty good attendance. We took our family tent for just the two of us and the weather has been the best this entire year. We had a great time talking with our friends and playing games, etc. We had a great night and enjoyed each other's company. 
The next day after playing catch with a football shot out of a potato gun, packing up, taking allergy medicine etc., we decided to hit a few geocaches on the way out. The first one we tried to visit, we walked along a beautiful logging road surrounded by trees and meadows. Unfortunately, the road ended and it looked like we could walk into the forest with little problems. I don't know how much you know how great gps reception is in tall trees but to fill you in, you don't get nothing. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a small clearing with short green plants and sunlight. (there wasn't any green vegetation on the ground underneath the firs.) We trudged our way into the sunlight as I strained my eyes on my gps receiver in hopes to get some coordinates of our position. I did get it shortly after entering the clearing and started walking again, trying to stay in the small clearings. 
Sterling stated that his legs were beginning to itch and to think of it, mine did as well. He then asked if maybe we touched some poison oak or something. I looked down to take a closer look of the plants we were strolling through and sure enough, poison oak. 
We bee lined our way back to the truck staying inside the firs this time and with some awesome navigation on my part, brought us straight to the truck and hopped in.  We did hunt for a couple more geocaches but we felt it would be better to get home and get some topical medicine on our bare legs. 
I started feeling really weird after getting home and with a little bit of concentration, I learned that whatever combination of allergy medicine, poison oak or the calamine lotion I was able to create small balls of fire with my mind. It has steadily been getting bigger and it is pretty cool. Please enjoy the video of my achievements and take care, I may be your ruler soon.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Wow...remind me to take you with me the next time we need to start a fire. That's too bad about the poison oak. Our ward had a Fathers and Sons camp-out mishap too. A bunch of little kids jumped into a pile of ashes about as big as a house and all of them received 2nd Degree burns all over their bodies. They thought it was dirt.

It sounds like you had a good birthday. We don't go to movies that ofter either, but we went out for Doug's birthday last Friday and saw Star Trek also. We loved it!

Stacie said...

Sounds like you had a great time! All except the poison oak. What a great side effect. By the way, not All poeple linked to a May birthday are cool.

Sandy said...

Mike: I looked at the Father's and Sons article and forgot to comment.
Sorry about the Fireballs in the mind. Sorry about the poison oak,
SORRY the other boys didn't make the right decision to go and have all that fun! I remember how much you boys had at the Father's and Sons!
I am happy you had a great time with Sterling...the potato gun looks fun, Jacob knew what it was right away...
the walk down the lane sounded wonderful....the poison oak...not so much!